Monday 8 May 2017

A Visit To The Orphanage, Annual Youth Meetings, Locked Into A Pharmacy!

(Saturday April 22nd)
Bishop Eric translating for pastor Dean Miller from Arkansas...at youth meetings 
Today I took two of Mark Webb's daughters, April an Audrey shopping in Kisumu, usually our social worker Stacy does that, but she was gone today so Rissa an I took them shopping, then we took them to the orphanage over lunch time to help feed the babies there...that was so much fun again...I always get such a sad lonely ache in my heart seeing those perfect little babies that someone rejected! It makes me want to take all my money that I have an start an orphanage too! Even as I type that out I know it sounds totally irrational, an it probably is...but dreaming never hurt anyone.
Anyway, after that we went back to the compound, over lunch time, then in the afternoon I again took them out, I took them to the fabric stores, an also to an interesting market, we had fun exploring, an even had some interesting cultural experiences, an that always makes me happy!
On the other hand, Dad an mom were out with some of our church people remudding the small storage house that we store our church things in...the mud walls were cracking, an falling apart, so they mixed water, mud, an manure an filled in the big cracks along the mud wall on the outside.
Youth meetings at Kajulu CBF church
In the evening, Richard an Janet came for supper...they are good friends of ours, an I have frequently mentioned them in my posts...as the ex-Muslim converts, they have been convicted of living together, an not being married, so Richard has been paying the promised dowry to Janet's Father, an brought them a cow, as part of the payment...be that as it may, they now have a July wedding planned, an want Dad to have the message...an all of us children will be in the bridle party, I cant imagine how it will all go...since this will be an all out Kenyan wedding, not conducted by CBF.
But I'm excited about it anyway, I'm sure you will be hearing more about this wedding, once I have pictures an stories to fill you in on...
(Sunday April 23rd)
As you can see in this picture, there are not many CBF youth girls
Today I was sick an ended up staying home from church...
After the rest got home from church they went to meet Richard an his 5 other groomsmen to be measures for the suits for the wedding...they said it was quite interesting, trying to get suits for 8 groomsmen, the bridle party will be a small army with 8 guys an 8 girls an the couple, but the best part was, when my brothers came home, looking more then alittle shocked, saying, "Sylvia, the suits are bright blue!" all I could do was laugh...welcome to Kenya anyway, where "the brighter the better" is most peoples clothing go-to-style.
In the evening everyone went to Joe an Glenda's house for a unit activity, Merl Beachy an his wife Sue are visiting Kenya after having served here many years ago, while they were serving in Kenya they served many, many years, an know the culture an people so very well.
So even though I wasn't able to go to the activity, I heard Merl gave a topic, then of course the usual Mennonite style, food an fellowship followed.

Hearing the truth
(Monday April 24th )
Today I woke up feeling some better but still weak.
however, we did have the Mark Webb family, as well as, Merl an his wife Sue over for lunch.
So my morning consisted of cleaning up around home here, while mom did most of the cooking.
Dad was at pastors meeting all day.
I sewed basically the rest of the afternoon...In the evening some of us played spike ball on the lane.
(Tuesday April 25th)
Today was the annual youth meetings...they were being held at Kajulu CBF church...it was a good day with obviously a lot of youth there, I so much enjoyed seeing a lot of my friends whom I had not seen for several months.
An of course the Kenyan lunch was a highlight for me...good ugali, beef, skuma, an rice was all part of the yumminess...its crazy how I now crave Kenyan food. Its the best! (once you get used to it.)
The day went well, other then the service ending an hour late, but at least lunch was on time by then, so it all balances out somehow...after lunch was some volley-ball, then some of us went on a hike, to a big stone quarry, that was really interesting.
Double Trouble...
Then it was to say good bye to all those dear friends again.
(Wednesday April 26th)
Today Dad an Mom went to Bible study...But before they left Kisumu they went down town to buy some medication for a sick lady from our church.
Upon arriving in Kisumu, things were astir with the primary elections just done on Tuesday, an results still sketchy.
Anyway, before they knew what happened, people were running an screaming, an dashing around trying to find a safe place, as rioters an protestors came surging down main street, thankfully Dad an Mom had just stepped inside the pharmacy when the chaos started on the outside, people started pouring into the small pharmacy, wide-eyed, an out of breath from running to shelter...the owners of the shop quickly locked the doors in place an secured the bars over the windows an doors, an everyone waited inside, as the mobbing, an screaming, throwing things, an burning tires, continued outside. thankfully they soon passed on to another destination to create chaos, an the people inside the pharmacy ran for a more permanent shelter, or to their homes if possible...Dad an Mom got to their vehicle, thanking God that the tires were not slashed, an raced on home...trying to avoid streets with burning tires, an stones placed across the road, where there were more rioters.

Aroba CBF youth group....
they returned to the safety of the compound, an everyone was ordered to stay inside the remainder of the day.
We thanked God for bringing them home safely...
Bible study's were canceled in most churches, an everyone sat tight inside their homes...Pray for Kenya their presidential elections are in Aug. an it seems it could become quite chaotic, but we trust in God.
(Thursday April 27th)
Today Dad an Steve along with Jake Gingerich flew to Nairobi to see about getting a new vehicle for our family, since we were down to an old clunker of a van, ever since our patrol was ruined by oil leak.
They were gone all day today an plan to return on Friday.
Mom, Stan, wayne, an I were all at home, left to complete our duties around the compound.
Mom was sewing an cutting out dresses...I was just doing odd jobs around home.
In the evening there was prayer meeting at Joe an Glenda's house...to our surprise our luo teacher from Nairobi also attended, she comes whenever there are new replacements on the compound to teach them the Luo. She has become a dear friend to all of us...
Dean Miller with his church youth...
(Friday April 28th)
Today Dad an Steve were still in Nairobi, so the rest of us were at home....I went to my friend Janets house and picked her up, as well as some of her brides maids, as we were planning to go pick out some fabric for the wedding dresses...but it ended up being so chaotic to try an get all of the ladies together, that I dropped them off at the fabric shops an gave Janet my money an told her to just get me what ever she gets for the rest...I was so tired of all the stress an chaos, plus I had to return Brian Mast's van that I was using, I had only asked to have it several hours...I left the compound at 9:30am since I was picking up Janet at 10am. an by the time I dropped some of them off at the fabric shops, it was 12:30pm. so I came home, an at around 4:30 Janet called an said that she had just returned home...I cant imagine the ordeal of all agreeing on a fabric an color.
Anyway, Kenyan ways never cease to amaze me! (There is much more drama I could fill you in on this day of rounding up 8 bridesmaids...some of who told us they were waiting for us to pick them up, then were never even there yet, an others who were on time, but got tired of waiting an went back home...but I will leave all that since my blog is already too lengthily.)
JoeAllen an Bishop Wayne with some of their youth from Lela...
Tonight the youth had volley ball, on the lane...with most of the pastors helping for the one game, an it ended up being quite a highlight!
then some spike ball, an a snack on the lane ended another nice Friday in Kenya!
An that's all I have for this post!
We are praying for you Marcus an Becky along with your precious little son, may you feel Gods presence very near during this trying time.
-Sylvia
For The Miller's






*Laugh of my week: Someone told Dad that he looks exactly like Trump, if only he had more hair on his head! hahahah!
Of course Dad's self image/self esteem has sky rocketed since then...an he is spending most of his missionary salary, on trying out various puffy-fluffy, pale, blonde-ish wigs, an looking for an "orange tinted" tanning lotion... you gotta earn respect from your church people somehow! an a missionary pastor never waits on a second chance...its not every day that the president an you are complete look alikes!! So we are enjoying the benefits from this prime opportunity, that happened by our way.
Jake with his church youth group....
We are looking forward to our church attendance hitting highs, an people actually arriving before Sunday school, instead of after. God knows our every need.
















Kajulu church youth an children...

Andrew from Kajulu,(Left) An Wycliffe(Right) Wycliffe had a topic

Bishop Wayne Yoder giving closing comments...

No comments:

Post a Comment